The organisations listed below provide services for youth in the Wimmera Southern Mallee Region. Filter by category using the menu or type in key words to search.
Several organisations in the Wimmera region are able to offer Youth Mental Health First Aid training.
Search for local trainers on the Mental Health First Aid website https://mhfa.com.au/instructors
What do MHFA Course Participants Learn?
MHFA courses teach mental health first aid strategies to members of the public. Mental health first aid is the help provided to a person who is developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of a mental health problem, or in a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves.
MHFA courses can provide members of the community with:
- Skills in how to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health problems
- Knowledge of the possible causes or risk factors for these mental health problems
- Awareness of the evidenced based medical, psychological and alternative treatments available
- Skills in how to give appropriate initial help and support someone experiencing a mental health problem
- Skills in how to take appropriate action if a crisis situation arises involving suicidal behaviour, panic attack, stress reaction to trauma, overdose or threatening psychotic behaviour.